IBReplicator is a toolset for implementing and controlling database replication in all Firebird versions and InterBase versions 5.x and higher. It is software that integrates with your databases, allowing users to replicate data seamlessly and transparently between databases on both local and remote sites.
IBReplicator Server 5.0 runs on:
- Microsoft Windows all 32-bit and 64-bit versions
- Linux 32-bit and 64-bit platforms (both 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available, as appropriate)
The current version of the GUI, IBReplicator's Replication Manager needs to run on a 32 bit compatible Windows host. It can access a remote IBReplicator server on Linux or a remote Windows 64-bit server. However, if you need it there is a command line configuration manager that became available with IBReplicator 4.x
IBReplicator supports replication to and from databases:
- Firebird (any released version) (to and from)
- InterBase 5.x and later versions (to and from)
- Oracle V9 and later versions (to)
- Via ODBC (to)
Database replication synchronizes data when and where you want it!
A tailored solution
IBReplicator uses Firebird's/InterBase's own native API for all replication, so there is no reliance on middleware and drivers. IBReplicator is, therefore:
- Fast: Replication occurs directly between servers: there are no intervening layers of processing from database engines or drivers.
- Small: IBReplicator consists only of the necessary code; there is none of the overhead associated with any form of middleware.
- Inexpensive: IBReplicator does not rely on any other software, so we pay no royalties, which means a cheaper product for you.
Furthermore, IBReplicator can take advantage of Firebirds/InterBase's advanced, non-standard features:
- Advanced datatypes: IBReplicator can replicate data of all types, including BLObs and arrays.
- Event-alerters: Replication can occur in response to database events.
- Two-phase commits: IBReplicator uses two-phase commit to ensure that source and target databases are always synchronized.
- Internationalisation: International character sets are supported.
Ease of use
A replication tool is, by it's nature, a complex piece of software, especially if it is a highly configurable one, like IBReplicator. Nonetheless, careful design has ensured that our replication server is exceptionally easy to install and use:
- Point-and-click configuration: This tool allows you to select which tables and fields are to be replicated, and to view and edit optional settings; it also generates the required triggers on the source database for you.
- Minimal configuration: Target databases need no configuration at all.
- Performance monitor: This tool provides a real-time graph showing how replications are going.
Powerful replication strategies
Just how data should be replicated depends on the what you're trying to do, so our replication server offers you great flexibility as you configure your replications:
Multiple source and target databases: IBReplicator allows you to publish the data in many databases, and to subscribe many databases to each of them.
Flexible replication timing: Replication can occur either synchronously or asynchronously, i.e. on request, at timed intervals, or in response to database events.
N-way replication: Each target database can also be a source database in its turn, with replication being controlled by different instances of the replication server, or even by the same one.
Conflict resolution: IBReplicator provides three ways to handle cases where replicated data conflicts with extant data in the target database:
- Priority-based. Databases can be given priorities, and the database with the higher priority takes precedence.
- Time-stamped. Either the earliest or the latest change takes effect.
- Master/slave. The source database always takes precedence.
Our replication engine doesn't have to be running on either the source or the target database server for replication to occur; it can be running on any machine on your network or intranet.
IBReplicator can record its transactions in a log which can be either a window onscreen or a disk file.
Sophisticated database operations
IBReplicator uses a variety of techniques to get the most out of an Firebird/InterBase server, and to give you all the flexibility you need to configure a replication that fits your needs:
- Multi-segment primary keys: IBReplicator recognizes primary keys made up of multiple columns, and allows each column to be of any InterBase datatype.
An evaluation version of IBReplicator is available for download.
A Discussion list for discussing, getting support on, reporting bugs and problems etc is available for IBReplicator users to subscribe to..
How does the licensing work?
In the simplest scenario, you will need to buy at least two licenses, one for the Source database, and one for the Target database. Since the source database is typically on the same machine where the Replication Server is running this means one "Replication Server License" and one "Replicant" licenses.
For each machine that is a Replication Server, one "Replication Server" license must be bought. For each Source or Target database, one "Replicant License" must be bought.
The "Replication Server License" is counted as a "Replicant License" as well, so for example, a machine that acts as the Replication Server, and has a single Source database, and which is replicating to a remote Target database, will need only two licenses, not three, i.e a "Replication Server License" and a "Replicant" license.
No database needs to be licensed more than once. If a Source or Target database is being controlled by more than one instance of the Replication Server, then only one "Replicant" need be bought for that database. This license will be installed in all configuration databases involved.
Quick Guide to Licensing contains examples for various replication scenarios.
The Licensing Matrix
IBReplicator Replicant licenses are available in various quantities. A "Replicant-10" license consists of 10 licenses, which allows a Replication Server to replicate between 10 different databases. Similarly for the other quanities. The reduced pricing for larger numbers of licenses represents a discount for bulk purchase.
You can see the actual license fee structure at our web shop.